A Mandatory Reporting State
Identity Theft laws in California
Credit Freeze Law in California
According to the California Department of Justice Attorney General's Office, victims of identity theft with a police report are entitled to one free credit report per agency per month for up to twelve (12) months after the date their police report was filed. oag.ca.gov/idtheft/facts/victim-checklist To apply for these reports, write to each of the credit reporting agencies.
- a copy of the police report of identity theft
- a copy of a government-issued identification card (such as driver’s license, state or military ID)
- a copy of proof of current mailing address (utility bill, bank or insurance statement showing name, current mailing address, and date of issue)
- A cover letter containing your full name including middle initial (and generation such as Jr., Sr., II, III), previous addresses for the past two years, Social Security number and date of birth.
Make a single request to receive all of your free monthly reports. Mail your request for 12 free monthly reports to:
P.O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013.
Write or call in your request each month. Mail to:
P. O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834
Write or call in your request each month.
- Mail to: Equifax Fraud Department
P.O. Box 740250
Atlanta, GA 30374.
Contacts in California
- Attorney General: Kamala D. Harris
1300 I St., Ste. 1740, Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-9555
- Los Angeles County Department of Consumer Affairs
Identity Theft Unit
Phone: (800) 593-8222 (option 5)
This Department can help L.A. County residents who are victims of identity theft deal with creditors, collection agencies, etc. This is a resource for victims to help restore their finances back to normal.
- CA Department of Corrections
- CA Secretary of State
- CA DMV Fraud Department
Phone / Local: 866-658-5758
Phone / Out of State: 916-657-2274
- CA Identity Theft Registry
(for victims of Criminal Identity Theft)
- Board of Registered Nursing
- CA Department of Social Services
CA Franchise Tax Board (Identity Theft)
Franchise Tax Board
ID Theft Resolution Coordinator MS A421
PO BOX 2952
Sacramento, CA 95812-2952
Franchise Tax Board Identity Theft Affidavit FTB 3552
California Health Advocates
Medicare Fraud Assistance
Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) - Please refer to ITRC Solution 2: Credit Reporting Agencies Contact Information