Click on a state below to learn about specific rules and regulations concerning identity theft in each state.
Not a Right to Report State
Identity theft laws in Alabama
- Identity theft Law - Section 13A-8-192
- Alabama Expanded Identity Theft Laws
Provided by ID Safety in partnership with International Association of Chiefs of Police and Bank of America
Security Freeze Provided by the three Credit Reporting Agencies
As of November 1st, 2007 all three credit reporting agencies are voluntarily offering Security Freezes to all states that do not currently have a freeze law. To apply for this freeze you will need to write to all three credit reporting agencies.
We have provided for you a pre-made letter form ( Letter Form 124A ) to submit with your documentation to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You will need to place the freeze with all three credit reporting agencies. Placing it on one will only place it with that specific company.
Include in your packet:
- A copy of your State ID or driver’s license
- A copy of your social security card
- A copy of a bill, bank statement, or pay stub with the same name and address that appears on your state ID
- If you have recently moved include a photocopy of your change of address card with your state ID.
- If you are a victim of Identity Theft, include a copy of your police report. This will give you the freeze for free.
- If you are not a victim of identity theft, include the amount of $10 per company to place the freeze.
Place the freeze over the phone
- Equifax: 800-685-1111
- Experian: 888-397-3742
- TransUnion: 800-680-7289
Contacts in Alabama
Attorney General: Luther Strange
Address: State House, 11 S. Union St., Montgomery, AL 36130
Phone: (334) 242-7300
Alabama Department of Corrections
Alabama Secretary of State
Department of Human Resources
United Way of Central Alabama
United Way Financial Stability Partnership
CRAs and FTC
PO Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
Phone: (800) 525-6285
PO Box 9701, Allen, TX 75013-0949
Phone: (888 )397-3742
PO Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834
Phone: (800) 680-7289
Identity Theft Complaint Input Form
If you know of any not-for-fee identity theft resources in Alabama that you would like to see on this page, please email ITRC