Car Wrapping Scam
Scammers are targeting job seeker’s bank accounts with fake job opportunities.
Who Is It Targeting: Residents in the Bay Area
What Is It: Scammers are posing as Red Bull employees and contacting job seekers with an advertising opportunity to make money quick. For these particular types of scams, the imposter offers individuals money to wrap their car with the company’s advertisement. The individuals are then send a cashier’s check with instructions to cash the check, keep a certain amount for the first week’s pay and then wire the remaining balance to an auto detailer from their bank account. If the victim falls for the scam, they have the possibility of having their own bank account drained of funds.
What Are They After: Bank account information, payment
How Can You Avoid It:
- Be aware of “too good to be true” offers like this scam.
- Do not send money to people you do not know.
- Keep in mind that no legitimate company will ask you to wire money to them.
- Report the scam to your local police and the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org
- If you are unsure of a check, always bring it to your local bank to have it inspected.
Anyone can be a victim of identity theft, anyone can use our services, and anyone can help us help others. If you found this information useful, please consider donating to the Identity Theft Resource Center to help us keep our services free to the public.
For full details of this scam check out this article from WTSP.