ITRC Fact Sheet 120A
Ordering a Child’s Credit Report

If you suspect there is a child identity theft case in progress, and you are the child’s parent or court-appointed guardian, you may write to the three Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) to see if there are credit reports in that child’s Social Security Number. The best news would be an answer of “there is no report.”

When you write to the agencies, place the following items in your cover letter:

NOTE: A flag may be placed on the report or the report can be suppressed, if a report exists.

Please note, all correspondence must be sent certified, return receipt request. This is the only way you can prove that you sent the information. You should also include any documentation showing that you have legal custody of the child if you are divorced or have legal guardianship of the child.

Many parents are complaining that they cannot get a response from the CRAs. If you do not hear from any of the below companies 30 days after getting your return receipt postcard, please file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission – 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357).

Do not order a report on a child unless you have a reason to do so. If you have no reason to suspect child identity theft, you will only cause problems in creating a report because of your multiple inquiries. When credit issuers see there is a report, they are more likely to believe the imposter is truly a consumer.


Write to: TransUnion LLC
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

They ask parents to include:

In response, TransUnion will mail out a copy of the credit report, if one exists, or a letter stating they have no file. TransUnion does not recommend that parents start doing this just to check and see. They should have some reason to believe that the child's identity may have been used. The reason for that belief can also be included in the request.

In addition, TransUnion has set up a special email address for parents and guardians to use: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. TransUnion will give you a yes or no answer to the question of: does a credit file exist in the following name and/or Social Security Number? Also, parents can use TransUnion’s secure online form to make the inquiry.


Write to: Experian
PO Box 9532
Allen, TX 75013

They ask parents to include the following in their letter:

Upon receipt of the items listed above, they’ll search their system and send a response back to the parent.  


Write to: Equifax
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, Georgia 30374 

Please include the following in your request:

Upon receipt of the documents listed above, Equifax will attempt to locate a file for the minor child and place an alert on the child’s Social Security number. Once Equifax’s research is complete, they will send a response back to the parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

Related Links:

ITRC Letter Form LF 120 - Request a Child's Credit Report

ITRC Solution SN 05 – Ordering a Child’s Credit Report


This fact sheet should not be used in lieu of legal advice. Any requests to reproduce this material, other than by individual victims for their own use, should be directed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..