ITRC Solution 5
Ordering a Child’s Credit Report

If there are indications that your child’s Social Security Number has been compromised and used for financial gain, you must contact the three Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) in writing. A minor under the age of 18 should not have a credit report. Therefore, if one exists it will contain information that does not match the correct information of the minor child.

There are some cases that appear to be identity theft but are not. Receiving a pre-approved credit card offer in your child's name might be upsetting; however, it might only be an innocent marketing tool sent by an affiliate of your bank because you opened a college fund or savings account for your child. We recommend that you opt out of all marketing lists with the bank when you open an account. A check of the credit reports will help you sort this out.

The ITRC and the three CRAs do not recommend that you automatically check your child's credit report annually, unless you have an indication of a problem. To order reports unnecessarily actually opens a door to thieves because it could establish a credit report when one should not exist.

All correspondence should be mailed certified, return receipt. This correspondence should include:

If the requestor is a guardian, but not a parent, he/she should state that and additionally include any documentation that legally appoints them as the guardian.

If you do not get a response from the CRAs within 30 days after getting your return receipt postcard, please file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357).


Write to: TransUnion
PO Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

They ask parents to include:

In response, TransUnion will mail out a copy of the credit report, if one exists, or a letter stating they have no file. TransUnion does not recommend that parents start doing this just to check and see. They should have some reason to believe that the child's identity may have been used. The reason for that belief can also be included in the request.

In addition, TransUnion has set up a special email address for parents and guardians to use: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. TransUnion will give you a yes or no answer to the question of: does a credit file exist in the following name and/or Social Security Number? Also, parents can use TransUnion’s secure online form to make the inquiry.


Write to: Experian 
PO Box 9532
Allen, TX 75013.

They ask parents to include the following in their letter:

Upon receipt of the items listed above, they’ll search their system and send a response back to the parent.  


Write to: Equifax
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, Georgia 30374 

Please include the following in your request:

Upon receipt of the documents listed above, Equifax will attempt to locate a file for the minor child and place an alert on the child’s Social Security number. Once Equifax’s research is complete, they will send a response back to the parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

Related Links:

ITRC Fact Sheet FS 120 - Child Identity Theft

ITRC Fact Sheet FS 120A – To Order a Child’s Credit Report

ITRC Fact Sheet FS 120B – Child Identity Theft Indicators

ITRC Letter Form LF 120 - Requesting a Child's Credit Report


This fact sheet should not be used in lieu of legal advice. Any requests to reproduce this material, other than by individual victims for their own use, should be directed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..