You are here:
< Back

ITRC Solution 10

Filing an identity theft police report is one of the first steps you should take when you have discovered any indication of identity theft. You will need this report to validate and document that you are a victim of identity theft. Many of the fraud departments you will be in contact with will need a copy of this report.

With a Police Report you are entitled to:

  • A 7-year Fraud Alert
  • A free Credit Freeze (ITRC Fact Sheet FS 124)
  • Have inaccurate or fraudulent information blocked from your credit report by the CRA’s
  • Receive a copy from the credit issuers of all application and transaction records on accounts opened fraudulently in your name

File a police report in the city/state where you live even if the crime was committed in other cities/states. Regardless of whether there are multiple jurisdictions involved in your case, you will want to file a police report where you live.

If the crime was committed in another jurisdiction you can request your local law enforcement to forward your police report to that jurisdiction for investigation.

You will need to obtain a copy of your police report. (Please note that a nominal fee will be charged to obtain copy of the original report.) It may take up to 10 to 14 business days before you are able to order your report. You will want to make copies of this report to send to the different companies and agencies to clear your name. Keep the original copy for your records.

You can amend your police report to reflect any new information you obtain as it relates to your case.

Related Fact Sheets

ITRC Fact Sheet FS 112 – Enhancing Identity Theft Victim – Investigator Communications

ITRC Fact Sheet FS 114 – The Identity Theft Evidence Trail


This fact sheet should not be used in lieu of legal advice. Any requests to reproduce this material, other than by individual victims for their own use, should be directed to