You are here:
< Back

Solution 38

It can sometimes be difficult to obtain your credit reports while living outside of the country. If you have family or friends back in the states who are taking care of your affairs, you may consider asking them to write to the Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) for you, utilizing the information in Letter Form 124C. Activity duty military living on base in a foreign country may use this same form as well.

If you are an American citizen not in the military, and you would like to request your credit reports, you will need to write to the three CRAs and send them a package of information proving your identity. If the country you are in has an equivalent of Certified Mail and/or Return Receipts, make sure you send your package that way so that you can track it.

  • Equifax P.O. Box 105139 Atlanta, GA 30348-5139
  • Experian P.O. Box 2002 Allen, TX 75013
  • TransUnion P.O. Box 2000 Chester, PA 19016

Your cover letter should include:

  • Your full legal name or the name that is on your passport or other identification papers
  • Your date of birth
  • Your Social Security number
  • Your current or previous U.S. address

Include in your package:

  • Two proofs of your current mailing address (such as a copy of your driver’s license, utility bill, insurance statement, bank statement or telephone bill that shows your name at your current mailing address)
  • Copy of a government-issued ID card such as your state ID or driver’s license
  • Copy of your passport and the visa stamp
  • Copy of your Social Security card

Related Resources:

LF 124C – Request a 90-Day Fraud Alert

FS 100 – Financial Identity Theft: The Beginning Steps

FS 124 – Fraud Alerts and Credit Freezes

This fact sheet should not be used in lieu of legal advice. Any requests to reproduce this material, other than by individual victims for their own use, should be directed to