You are here:
< Back

ITRC Solution 36

What do you do when somebody has pulled your annual free credit report using your information?

  • Contact all creditors you do business with (credit cards, bank loans, utilities, etc.) Talk to them about what precautions can be placed on your accounts. Consider placing passwords on accounts or changing account numbers entirely.
  • Contact the three credit reporting agencies directly. In instances like this, it is safest if you write to the three credit reporting agencies rather than going online or calling because you will need to prove your identity in order to get what you need. You can use the ITRC Letter Form 124 C to write to them. Send to each agency a copy of your state ID or Driver’s License, a copy of your Social Security card, a bill, and a bank statement or pay stub. If you have moved, include a copy of your change of address card as well. Send your packets Certified Mail Return Receipt.
    • Equifax  PO Box 740241  Atlanta , GA 30374-0241
    • TransUnion  PO Box 2000 Chester, PA 19022
    • Experian  PO Box 9554  Allen , TX 75013
  • Look into freezing your credit reports (Fact Sheet 124). See if it is right for you.

If you believe or feel this may be related to a case of stalking, consult your Attorney General’s website for programs that are available to help protect you.

Related Links:

FS 115 When you personally know the thief
FS 115A When your spouse is the thief.
FS 124 Credit Freezes and Fraud Alerts
FS 132 – What are Identity Theft Products?
SN 30 – Clearing Financial Account Takeover

This fact sheet should not be used in lieu of legal advice. Any requests to reproduce this material, other than by individual victims for their own use, should be directed to