As holiday shopping begins, individuals are falling for fake shopping apps and unknowingly giving away their personal information.
Who Is It Targeting: Mobile users
What Is It: Buyer beware – fake shopping apps are popping up in the Apple app store in order to steal credit card numbers and personal information.
What Are They After: Personal Information, financial account information
How Can You Avoid It:
- Be on the lookout for bad English and grammatical errors.
- Always check the app reviews in the app store before downloading.
- Download apps with high ratings and more reviews.
- If you’re unsure if the app is legitimate, order the product elsewhere.
- Report a fake app to the Apple store.
If you think you may be a victim of identity theft, contact the Identity Theft Resource Center for toll-free, no-cost assistance at (888) 400-5530. Find more information about current scams and alerts here.
For full details of this scam check out this article from Phone Arena.