ITRC Solution 15
It can be unnerving to be told that your information has been compromised in a breach. There are some steps you can take at this time. Remember, just because you’re a victim of a data breach does not mean your information will be used by an identity thief.
Your response to this breach will depend on the type of information that was compromised. Should you become a victim of identity theft, help is just a phone call or email away.
This includes checking accounts, credit cards, money market funds, stocks, and bank accounts:
- Close ONLY the affected accounts and have account numbers changed.
- Password-protect all your accounts, the new ones as well as the closed. This restricts thieves from re-opening closed accounts.
- Monitor your account and billing statements closely.
- Report any fraudulent activity immediately to the bank and law enforcement.
Social Security Numbers:
- Call the credit reporting agencies to place a fraud alert. We recommend that you call all three. You will go through the automated system when you do this.
- Once you place fraud alerts on your credit reports you should receive a free credit report for your review. Please go over these reports to look for any signs of identity theft.
- Use the annual credit reports system to monitor your credit report over the next year. Stagger them out by ordering one every four months.
- If your health and auto insurance information is compromised, change the policy numbers or have the accounts flagged for unusual activity.
- If it is HR data that was compromised, change account numbers for your 401-K, life insurance, and accounts holding your stock options. Password-protect these accounts.
ITRC Solution SN 03 – Contacting the Credit Reporting Agencies to Place a Fraud Alert
ITRC Fact Sheet FS 129 – I received a security breach letter: what do I do now?
This solution sheet should not be used in lieu of legal advice. Any requests to reproduce this material, other than by individual victims for their own use, should be directed to email@example.com.